Moreish Mini Spring Rolls
These little rolls of delights are easy to make and moreish when eaten. This recipe creates a crispy spring roll filled with wonderful vegetables that can be dipped into a sauce of your choice. Although only using vegetables you can add any meat or seafood to suit your taste buds! These mini spring rolls provide a welcome addition to any dining table or party food spread!
Recipe makes approx. 40 mini spring rolls
Defrost time: 50 minutes – 1 hour
Preparation time: 15—20 minutes
Rolling time: 15—20 minutes
Cooking time: Ingredients cooking 10 minutes & spring roll cooking 5-6 minutes each batch
1 packet of Ming Foods 10” Spring Roll Wrapper Pastry (defrosted and cut into 2 triangles)
1 small carrot peeled and shredded
½ white cabbage washed and finely sliced
30g black dried mushroom (soaked in boiling water for 8-10 minutes, until soft then drain)
50g mung bean noodles (soaked in lukewarm water until soft then drain)
1 tbsp. of cooking oil
1 tbsp. white pepper
1 tbsp. of sesame oil (to taste)
1 tbsp. of light soy sauce or oyster sauce
2 tbsp. of plain flour mixed with water to seal pastry
3L frying oil – preferably in a deep fryer, although a pan on the stove will also suffice 170C
- Remove one packet of Ming Foods Spring Roll Pastry Wrappers 10” from the freezer and allow to defrost at room temperature for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until soft and easy to peel.
- While the pastry is defrosting start to prepare your filling by heating your oil in a wok, add your carrots, cabbage and mushrooms to the wok and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes or until starting to soften.
- Add your mung bean noodles and combine the ingredients.
- Stir the sesame oil, light soy sauce/oyster sauce, white pepper and season to taste.
- Remove from the heat, drain any excess liquid and allow to cool.
- Prepare a damp tea towel, get your pastry and here you can either peel each pastry and then cut the square into two triangles or you can split the pastry in half, cut the two triangles then peel as you wrap. This depends on whatever you feel comfortable with!
- Take one triangle of pastry and fold as per the instructions on the back of the Ming Foods Spring Roll Pastry wrapper
- Once you have reached the point of the triangle use the flour mix, dab on the edge and roll the spring roll over it to seal.
- Continue as above until all your spring rolls are wrapped.
- Carefully put 3-4 spring rolls into the pre-heated fryer and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes or until the contents are cooked and the skin is golden.
- Remove spring rolls from the oil and place onto a plate covered with kitchen roll.
- Repeat this until all your spring rolls are cooked.
Serve with a dipping sauce of your choice and enjoy!